|Birthday:||May 22, 1978|
|Birthplace:||Memphis, Tennessee, USA|
|Education:|| London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts|
Lausanne Collegiate School
|Family & Friends|
|Family:|| Linda [née Kantor] (mother)|
Tim Goodwin (father)
Melissa Goodwin Shepherd (younger sister)
Nathan Shepherd (brother-in-law)
Oliver Finlay Dallas (son)
Hugo Wilson Dallas (son)
|Friends:|| Topher Grace|
|Relationships:|| Chris Klein (ex-boyfriend)|
Joey Kern (ex-fiance)
Josh Dallas (husband)
|Character:||Mary Margaret Blanchard / Snow White|
|Last appearance:||The Final Battle Part 2|
Jennifer Michelle "Ginnifer" Goodwin is an American actress. She is best known for her roles as Margene Heffman in the drama series Big Love (2006–2011), Snow White in the fantasy series Once Upon a Time (2011–2017), and Judy Hopps in the Disney animated film Zootopia. She also appeared in various films including Mona Lisa Smile, Something Borrowed, Walk the Line, Killing Kennedy, and He's Just Not That Into You.
View the Ginnifer Goodwin Gallery.
Goodwin was born in Memphis, Tennessee. Her mother, Linda (née Kantor), is a former educator and "stay-at-home mom" who later worked for FedEx and Apple. Her father, Tim Goodwin, formerly owned and operated a recording studio. Goodwin changed her name from "Jennifer" to "Ginnifer" to distinguish her name, and to assist in pronunciation of her name in her regional dialect. Her younger sister, Melissa Goodwin, is a stop motion animator on shows such as Robot Chicken, on which Ginnifer has also appeared as voice talent.
Her father is Christian with Welsh ancestry, and her mother is Jewish. Goodwin was raised attending synagogue on Saturdays and Unitarian church on Sundays.She was both baptized and had a bat mitzvah service. In her youth, Goodwin was affiliated with the North American Federation of Temple Youth, and was active in BBYO at the Jewish Community Center in Memphis. She went to school at St. Mary's Episcopal School in Memphis, Tennessee. She then graduated from Lausanne Collegiate School in 1996, then attended Hanover College (majoring in Theater) for one year before moving on to earn her Bachelor of Fine Arts from Boston University. While a student at BU, she performed in numerous student short films, as well as several college and local stage productions. Goodwin was given the "Excellence in Acting: Professional Promise Award" by the Bette Davis Foundation, and graduated with honors. After her time at Boston University, she studied in England at Stratford Upon-Avon’s Shakespeare Institute, in conjunction with the Royal Shakespeare Company. The following year she earned an "Acting Shakespeare Certificate" at London’s Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
Goodwin first had roles in the popular NBC television programs Law & Order and Ed before appearing in the Comedy Central television movie Porn 'n Chicken. She later had substantial roles in the films Mona Lisa Smile, Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!, Walk the Line—in which she portrayed Vivian Liberto, Johnny Cash's first wife—and Birds of America. She also played Dori Dumchovic in the dark comedy Love Comes to the Executioner. Goodwin played a leading role as Margene Heffman, the third wife in a polygamous family, on the HBO original series Big Love, which concluded on March 20, 2011. Goodwin has recurring voice roles in the Adult Swim show Robot Chicken, the animation of which her younger sister Melissa Goodwin is involved.
In 2008, Max Mara honored Goodwin with a "Face of the Future" award, an award recognizing up and coming women in film.
Goodwin played Gigi in He's Just Not That into You, which was released in February 2009. For this role, she received a nomination for the People's Choice Award for Breakout Movie Actress. In April 2009 she began filming Ramona and Beezus (playing "Aunt Bea").
Since 2011, Goodwin has played a leading role in the ABC fantasy drama series Once Upon a Time. She plays both the fairy tale heroine Snow White and her real world counterpart, schoolteacher Mary Margaret Blanchard.
Goodwin voiced Judy Hopps, the protagonist rabbit police officer in Disney's Zootopia.
|2000||Zelda: An Extrospective Journey||Short||Zelda (as 'Ginnefer Goodwin')|
|2001||Law & Order||TV Series||Erica|
|2002||Porn 'n Chicken||TV Movie||Maya|
|2001 - 2003||Ed||TV Series||Diane Snyder|
|2003||Mona Lisa Smile||Connie Baker|
|2004||Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!||Cathy Feely|
|2005||Walk the Line||Vivian Cash|
|2006||Love Comes to the Executioner||Dori Dumchovic|
|2007||In the Land of Women||Janey|
- BFA in acting, with honors, from Boston University. A fellow student was Emily Deschanel.
- Acting Shakespeare Certificate from Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London, UK.
- Also studied with London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts, and the Shakespeare Institute, Stratford-upon-Avon (in conjunction with the Royal Shakespeare Company)
- Won the Bette Davis Foundation Excellence in Acting / Professional Promise Award for theatre in 2001 (Boston, Massachusetts).
- Long time friend Topher Grace recommended her for the role of Cathy Feely in Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! (2004).
- As a child, she attended the Henry S. Jacobs Camp, a summer camp for Reform Jewish children in Utica, Mississippi.
- Younger sister, Melissa Goodwin Shepherd, is a stop-motion animator.
- Her dream to be a Walt Disney princess came true with her role in Once Upon a Time (2011).
- Is no longer a vegan, after telling in an interview that she had several health issues.
- Attended and failed clown school.
- Her father is of English descent. Her mother is Ashkenazi. Ginnifer had a Bat Mitzvah ceremony.
- Was 8 months pregnant with her son Oliver when she completed filming the 3rd season of Once Upon a Time (2011).
- Returned to work 6 weeks after giving birth to her son Oliver to begin filming the 4th season of Once Upon a Time (2011).
- Is just 1 year older than Jennifer Morrison and 22 years older than Jared Gilmore, who play her daughter and grandson on Once Upon a Time (2011).
- Once Upon a Time: Snow Falls (2011) is her favorite episode of Once Upon a Time (2011).
- Her father, Tim Goodwin, was the orchestra leader for Roy Orbison.
- Was 7 months pregnant with her son Hugo when she completed filming the 5th season of Once Upon a Time (2011).
- Returned to work 5 weeks after giving birth to her son Hugo to begin filming the 6th season of Once Upon a Time (2011).
- (April 12, 2014) Married her boyfriend of 2 years Josh Dallas following a 6-month-long engagement. They share their wedding day with their Once Upon a Time (2011) co-star and friend Jennifer Morrison's birthday. Morrison plays their daughter in the show.
This article is a stub. You can help the Once Upon a Time Wiki By expanding it! Thanks!